• Pets rescued from house fire

    June 19, 2023


    Beloved pets rescued from house fire 

    Fire and Rescue NSW is urging everyone to ensure they are prepared, and their house is as safe as possible this winter. Follow this Winter Safety Checklist to ensure your house is as prepared as possible.

    A beloved poodle and a pet lorikeet had a lucky escape when fire-fighters rescued them from a house fire on the Central Coast yesterday.

    Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews rushed to the two-storey home in Springfield about 2pm on Saturday (17 June 2023) after a fire broke out in the kitchen.

    Firefighters were quickly alerted by the homeowner that his pet dog ‘Chrissie’ was still inside.

    Chrissie was trapped on the second floor; her frantic owners looked on as crews worked to put the blaze out.

    A short time later, fire crews found the frightened eight-year-old poodle hiding behind a speaker.

    The normally light-coloured dog was blackened by soot when rescued.

    Crews also located a Lorikeet, named ‘Ebon,’ in his cage.

    The fire was quickly doused, and the pets rescued from the house fire before being reunited with their relieved owner, Jerry Van der Slot.

    Poodle covered in soot after being rescued from house fire
    Chrissie the poodle’s light brown fur was covered in soot after the house fire (image: Fire and Rescue NSW)

    Mr Van der Slot has praised the fire crews for saving the lives of the family pets and the home.

    “We’re off to the vets today to check up on Chrissie,” Mr Van der Slot said.

    “She’s got a bit of smoke inhalation but is otherwise okay.”

    He believes a faulty stove may have started the blaze.

    The Central Coast fire crews ‘paw-sitively’ chuffed they could save the day for ‘Chrissie’ and her ‘feathered friend.’



    Fake animal rescue videos; how to spot the online animal abuse